Wednesday 19 November 2008

What would Emily Post do?

Oh God. I found myself confronted by the most awkward of situations today and had no idea what the proper protocol was. I was over at a friend's place and she was wearing these new pjs that she had just bought. She kept saying how cute they were, how comfortable they were and how much she loved them. In fact, they were so cute she thought she might wear the top out as an actual top. This was fine, except her boob kept popping in and out of the shirt!!! AWKWARD. 'Aren't these cute?' Nipple. 'Actually, this top doesn't even look like a pajama top.' Nipple. 'It's so cute I might wear it as an actual top, no one would know.' Nipple. She was totally oblivious to the fact that she was flashing me every 30 seconds. I haven't known her very long and I'm generally sort of shy when it comes to that sort of thing, plus she was so into the idea of wearing the top 'out' that I didn't really know how to tell her that I was becoming rather more acquainted with her anatomy than probably either of us would like. I settled for saying as earnestly as I possibly could, 'Please don't wear that shirt out. It's better just to wear it around the house.'... Hopefully she listens!

On the way home, I passed a little girl speaking Korean to her mother. Hearing the familiar words pulled on my heartstrings a little. I was half-tempted to try and make friends with them. We could have reminisced together about missing kimchi, 'service' and Korean autumn.

No comments: