Sunday 18 January 2009

Life after Christmas...

Whoops, I sort of fell off the face of the blogosphere there. Christmas, New Year's and then trying to get back into the swing of things... you know how it is. I love the holidays, but a bit of post-holiday depression has set in this year. I went home for Christmas and it was indescribably nice to see and do all of the old familiar things and catch up with friends. BUT, then I had to leave and I've been feeling a trifle homesick since returning.

I'm starting to wonder if I made the right decision coming here... It's been kind of hard being in a new city, actually COUNTRY, and not knowing anyone. I've met really nice people and made some friends, but for some reason I haven't seemed to really click with any of them. We go for pints and do pub quizzes and see movies together, but that connection is lacking. This was made even more evident when I went home and saw my old friends and realised how strong a connection I have with them. I met up with a friend that I hadn't seen since before I went to Korea and we picked up exactly where we had left off. It was nice to have an actual, real conversation. You know, about things that really matter as opposed to the trivial and inane. Which, don't get me wrong, can also be nice, but sometimes you want a little more.

I guess I was spoiled by making the friends that I did in Korea because I made THE best friends there... totally kindred spirits. You know when you have a group of friends that is so close it's more like a family? Well, that was us. I'm really missing that. When The Boy broke up with me, there was nobody here to pour my heart out to over camembert cheese tart (aka heaven in food form) in Coffee Bean. In fact, I didn't really have anyone. I don't really feel close enough to anyone here to confide those sorts of things to them. I mean, people knew I had a boyfriend, so it has come up, but I just get the standard 'oh, I'm sorry' response and then they quickly change the subject. Or, in one case, ask me out. WTF? Gotta work on your timing buddy.

On a slightly lighter note, I have another 'What would Emily Post do?' conundrum for us to ponder. What exactly is the proper protocol for when you realise that you've neglected to tell your mother that you've broken up with your boyfriend? The one time that I spoke to her on the phone after it happened, I didn't really have the energy to tell her about it, so decided to wait. Then, I went home and he just didn't come up in conversation the first day and I'd sort of forgotten that I hadn't told her. The second day, we went for a meal with some family friends and one of them asked about him which was when I realised. Rather than make everyone uncomfortable by announcing that I no longer had a boyfriend and then be subjected to a lot of grilling from my mother in front of an audience, I went with the blatant lie and pretend we're still dating approach. As my punishment, God decreed that everyone would spend the next hour asking me questions about him and our future. Awwwkward.

No comments: